• Strong AES 256-bit Hardware Encryption
• 2.5" HDD height up to 9.5 mm, capacity not limited
• USB 3.0 host, backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1
• Encrypts all data on the drive in real-time
• Built-in independent keypad for password input (up to 12 digit PIN Password)
• Protect and secure your valuable data
• Toolless SSD/HDD installation and additional silicone sleeve
Enclosure for 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD up to 9.5 mm height
USB 3.0 up to 5 Gbit/s
Tolless HDD installation
HotSwap and Plug & Play
LEDs for power, HDD access and encryption status
The IB-289U3 is a hardware encryption solution that protects sensitive data stored in the hard drive, with bullet proof security. The IB-289U3 solution does not store any password in the computer or the systems volatile memory, thus it is a far more secure solution than any software encryption.
A micro USB 3.0 port brings diverse connection options with up to 5 Gbit/s. In addition, several LEDs show power, HDD access and encryption status
The enclosure is composed of a combination of aluminum and plastic and the additional silicone sleeve brings that extra protection against shocks or falls.
Data sheets, manuals, firmware updates, drivers and other software.
Here you can find answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding our products.
What do I have to know before buying?
Compatibility with the host computer
For USB 3.0 and 3.1 enclosures of ICY BOX, make sure that the corresponding USB port is available on your host computer. Although our enclosures are always USB downward compatible, please note that the specified data transfer rates cannot be achieved with an older USB version.
Are cables included in the package contents?
• All our ICY BOX enclosures are supplied with cables. Whether integrated in the enclosure or included, the cables are always part of the ICY BOX enclosure.
• If you want to connect a USB Type-C™ enclosure to a USB Type-A connector, it is possible to use an adapter from ICY BOX (IB-CB015). The same works in the other direction from USB Type-A to USB Type-C™ (IB-CB003).
Up to what hard disk capacity can I equip the ICY BOX?
The capacity of all our enclosures is unlimited.
Are special drivers required?
No, only the standard USB drivers are required, which are already pre-installed on your system by default. Please make sure that the USB drivers are up to date.
How do I set up the password and how can I change it?
Please refer to the included manual. You can also find the manual in the Download Center under Support. You can download the manual there as a PDF file.
Will the enclosure be encrypted automatically?
Yes, after about 13 minutes of inactivity the drive will be encrypted automatically. If the data drive is active, e.g. data transfer, the data drive remains decrypted. The data transfer is not interrupted.
How often can the password be entered incorrectly?
If the password is entered incorrectly more than 99 times, the data on the installed data drive are permanently locked for security reasons and cannot be restored.
Can the enclosure also be connected to USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 ports?
Yes this is possible. Please note, that the data transfer rates are much lower in this case.
Do I need a power supply for my external 2.5" enclosure?
An additional power supply for your 2.5" enclosure is usually not required. However, some of our external cases still have a 5 V connection to which you can connect an external power supply if required. An external power supply is not included.
Why is the HDD/SSD not recognized?
• Make sure your HDD/SSD is correctly connected to the external enclosure and its connectors.
• If the HDD/SSD is new, it must first be correctly formatted and partitioned before it is displayed in the system.
• Use a different USB port on your notebook or PC.
• Check if the power supply is connected and the external enclosure is switched on with the on/off switch (only for 3.5" enclosures).
• Update the USB 3.0 / USB 3.1 drivers of your notebook/PC or mainboard. Current USB drivers can be found on the website of your mainboard manufacturer.
Everything is connected, but no function.
To avoid possible problems, there are some quick tests that you can perform. You can test if the following components work correctly and are not the source of the problem:
• Cables - HDD/SSD - Enclosure To test your components, proceed as follows:
• Use the cables, hard drives, and enclosures on another system to see if your system is the source of the problem.
• Use a different cable, HDD/SSD, and hard disk enclosure one after the other to see if the problem persists. Ideally, you should test a component that you know works in a different setup.
The enclosure is defective, have my data been lost?
No, by inserting your data drive into an identical housing, you can decrypt your data as usual with your password.
Our friendly support team is glad to help you further and support you with solutions to any issue.